Thanks for your interest in the 5 day RYA Dinghy Instructor course. The course start time is 9.30am at the centre.
The centre will still be operating as normal during the course, so we will be working along side usual activities. Please click to see a provisional timetable for the course.
There is a lot of work to do on the course so we will be finishing around half five most nights. Punctuality is important and affects the course outcome greatly.
It would be beneficial for you to visit the RYA website and check out the tips on becoming an instructor. (www.rya.org.uk). Also to do as much background reading of the publications listed below as possible. Click in the pre course questionnaire for you to work through to help guide you as to where your background knowledge should be. This questionnaire is for your preparation but we wont have time to mark it during the course.
Pre entry sailing assessment – Hopefully you are all sailing to the standard as laid out in the G14 Instructor handbook. I will complete the assessment of skills on the second day or an additional evening during the course for those that don’t have it signed of already.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Valid First Aid
- RYA membership number
- RYA Safe and Fun Safegurding course (This online course is available through us for £10)
- Minimum 16 years old at the time of your course
(If you are missing any of the pre requisites please contact me prior to the course so arrangements can be made)
Available Publications (not included in the course price, but availiable from Colwyn Bay Watersports)
- G14 Dinghy Coaching Handbook – really useful and a must!
- G4/05 National Sailing Scheme Logbook – useful to see the syllabus
- G3/02 Start Sailing Beginners Handbook – Useful reference
- G12/03 Advanced Sailing Handbook – useful reference particularly for seamanship
- Instructor kit – i.e. sharp knife, whistle. Wet notes can also be really useful.
- On water gear – Wetsuit/Dry suit, personal buoyancy, boots etc.
- Writing materials.
- Publications listed above.
- Proof of pre requisites.
During the course we will be covering,
- Teaching the RYA National Dinghy Sailing Scheme, level 1, 2, 3 and seamanship skills using the RYA method.
- Both crewboat and singlehanders
- Centre and Aft main
- Presentations – On day one I will deliver a presentation technique session when we will then allocate a subject for you do deliver a ten minute presentation on. This will be organised as a group, allocating topics from within the scheme. Usual topics are subjects such as 5 essentials, rules of the road, tides, rope work, equipment and weather. These are all topics you should have knowledge but to make things easy on yourself and please read up before hand.
During the course there will be both individual and group debriefs on your progress.
On the last day of the course we will be joined by another coach assessor, for a moderation. This is to check that I have done my job properly as a coach and that we agree with any outcomes.
We look forward to seeing you on the course and if you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.