Thanks for your interest in the one day RYA Dinghy Instructor pre assessment at Colwyn Bay Watersports. This is a day in which your sailing skills are assessed to make sure you at the level required in the G14 logbook before starting your dinghy instructor course.
Candidates should be able to complete the complete tasks, such as those listed below, sailings at all times with an awareness of the ‘five essentials’, and confirming they can sail in a controlled and confident manner, showing consideration for preparation, communication, approach and execution, at all times.
During the assessment the candidate will be asked to complete the following:
- Sail around a triangular course of 100m (minimum) legs to the best of their ability using all the boat’s normal equipment, including spinnaker if carried.
- Sail a tight circular course around a stationary boat, making only one tack and one gybe.
- Sail a ‘follow my leader’ course behind another boat. The course may include all points of sailing and may be behind another sailing dinghy or behind a powered boat.
- Pick up a man overboard dummy; the boat to be stopped and more than one attempt should not be needed.
You may also be asked to complete some of the following:
- Sail without a rudder, or with the tiller on a loose elastic around a triangular course. You will be expected to make good progress around the course in a seamanlike manner (not applicable to keelboat or multihull instructor candidates).
- Lee shore landing and departure
- Anchor or pick up a mooring – wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Come along-side a moored boat – wind against tide (if appropriate) Recover a capsized dinghy and sail away (not keelboats)
We can provide wetsuits, buoyancy aids and splash tops, so you should be fully kitted out
on the water. We ask that you bring some footwear that you don’t mind getting wet as well as some for wearing after you have changed.
Also bring a towel, and some warm clothes for after we come off the water. Also a coat can be a good idea if it is cold and some sun cream for if the sun is out, as believe it or not it can get hot enough to burn here in Wales! We have excellent changing and shower facilities on site at Porth Eirias, there are also lockers that accept a £1 coin (and even give it back afterwards.) A packed lunch is a good idea, although it is a short walk/drive into town so it is possible to go to the shops.
We look forward to seeing you on the course and if you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.