Thanks for your interest in the 5 day RYA Start Windsurf Instructors course. The course start time is 9.00am at the centre.
The centre will still be operating as normal during the course, so we will be working along side usual activities. Please click to see a provisional timetable for the course, a pre-course questionnaire to be completed before you come on the course, and a copy of W4a windsurfing method booklet.
There is a lot of work to do on the course so we will be finishing around half five most nights. Punctuality is important and affects the course outcome greatly.
It would be beneficial for you to visit the RYA windsurfing website and check out the tips on becoming an instructor. (www.rya.org.uk)
- RYA Windsurfing Intermediate non planning ability,
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- First Aid Certificate (recognised by the RYA)
- RYA Safe and Fun Safegurding course (This online course is available through us for £10)
- RYA Personal Member
- Min age 16
It might be worth looking at doing the preparation day with us if you are worried about any of the above. If in doubt, ask us!
Course Publications (not included in the course price)
- W33 Instructor Manual – (Available from Colwyn Bay Watersports)
- W4 Start Windsurf handbook – Helps with presentations (Available from Colwyn Bay Watersports)
- WSM1 Syllabus and logbook
- W4a Level 1 Method Booklet
- W1 Junior Log book
- Personal windsurfing kit
- Wetsuit/Drysuit, personal buoyancy, harness, boots etc.
- Warm dry clothing and water proofs as much of the time is spent outdoors or on the simulator.
- Writing materials incl wet notes if possible
- Publications listed above.
- Proof of pre requisites
All beginner windsurf kit will be provided by the centre, if you need any other items of equipment please let them know as soon as possible so relevant provisions can be made
During the course we will be covering,
- Personal Sailing Ability including close quarter board handling
- Theoretical Knowledge You will be expected to give a prepared presentation (Topics will be allocated on the first evening), complete instructor multi choice questionnaires and off the cuff informal presentations.
- Teaching/coaching Techniques both inside techniques and on the water coaching, plus exercises on communication and learning styles.
- Course Management How to prepare and run a course including equipment requirements.
- Simulator Work demonstrating, coaching and fault analysis.
- On-water Coaching Skills presenting an on water demonstration ensuring it is technically correct and student management on water.
- Session planning what makes a good session and putting it all together
- Race Instructor Endorsement depending on the background the candidates I may plan to run the race instructor endorsement during the week.
During the course there will be both individual and group debriefs on your progress.
Please see the timetable for course times.
On the last day of the course, we will be joined by another trainer, to assist me and to moderate the course. This is not only to assess your ability to be an instructor, to ensure that I have done my job as a trainer correctly but also as another day of training to allow you input from someone else
THE PRECOURSE QUESTIONNAIRE IS OUR TOP TIP TO WHERE YOUR BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE. IT IS IN YOUR INTEREST TO PREPARE BY SPENDING SOME TIME ON THIS PAPER.